This guide offers 15 easy fixes for resolving issues with Apple CarPlay not working or connecting. Apple CarPlay allows users to access various iPhone services for a safer driving experience, such as viewing directions, making calls, and streaming music. Despite the benefits, users may encounter problems with CarPlay connectivity. This article delves into the reasons why CarPlay may not be working and provides practical solutions to help resolve the issue.
Why Is My Apple CarPlay Not Working?
You might face the Apple CarPlay not connecting issues for several reasons. Hereunder are some of the more prominent reasons that might shed some light on the glitch:
- Your car does not support Apple CarPlay.
- CarPlay might be unavailable in your country.
- Your car or phone has Bluetooth connectivity issues.
- The USB cord needs replacement.
- You are using an outdated iOS version on your iPhone.
- Your iPhone failed to be recognized by CarPlay.
- App integration errors are causing the Apple CarPlay not connecting issue.
- The infotainment system has outdated software.
- iPhone is overheating.
How to Fix Apple CarPlay Not Working or Connecting?
Ensure you have powered on your iPhone and the car’s infotainment system before attempting any of the fixes mentioned in this article. If both devices are switched on, and you want to fix Carplay issues, then keep reading this article without skipping any sections.
Check Apple CarPlay service availability in your region
You don’t necessarily gain access to the Apple CarPlay service just because your car’s infotainment system has it and you own an iPhone. Before you make a complaint, my Apple CarPlay stopped working. So first, determine if the service is available in your country. However, Apple CarPlay won’t connect with your car and device if you aren’t living in one of the following countries.
United Arab Emirates
Check your car supports wireless connection
Apple claims that all known brands support CarPlay. However, not all cars come equipped with this feature. Apple CarPlay is compatible with 600 models of 70+ car brands around the globe. You can check this list to check whether your car supports CarPlay.
Every car model does not come with CarPlay. If your vehicle or car manufacturer is not listed, you really shouldn’t care in the slightest. You can buy an infotainment system from companies like Sony, JVC, and Pioneer if you desire to experience Apple CarPlay while driving.
You can enjoy Apple CarPlay with your latest iOS, but the minimum requirement for device interoperability is an iPhone 5 and an iOS 7.1.
Ensure your car supports wireless connections, not USB cables, before connecting CarPlay with your phone wirelessly.
So if your car supports wireless CarPlay, then what rest causing such issues? Perhaps, the next part of this article will answer why Apple CarPlay not working.
Update iOS to the latest version
The speed with which we neglect operating system updates could later act worrisome. Sometimes such chores might appear mundane, or we might be too sluggish to do them and put them off till later. However, you might be surprised to learn how essential iOS updates are to your iPhone’s functionality. These updates typically install the latest firmware and software on your iPhone so that your iPhone can function smoothly, in addition to patching security flaws. Also, it updates your Apple CarPlay’s features and functionality for better connectivity. Therefore, the most probable reason why Apple CarPlay is not working with your device is due to an outdated iOS version.
It’s pretty simple to update an iOS. However, depending on the update size, it could be time-consuming.
Follow the instructions below for updating your iPhone to the newest iOS version:
- Create a complete backup of your iPhone’s storage and data on your personal computer or iCloud.
- Charge the iPhone at least 80% before updating your iOS.
- Connect your iPhone to a stable wireless connection.
- Now, tap Settings on your phone’s screen.
- Navigate to General > Software Update.
- It will automatically check for updates and show you an available iOS update.
- Tap “Install Now” to launch the update. Alternatively, if you see “Download and Install,” tap on it.
- The update will download to your phone when you click on it.
- Next, You’ll need to enter your passcode and tap “Install Now” to get the latest iOS version on your iPhone.
This solution may help you connect iPhone to your infotainment system.
Check connectivity between Apple CarPlay and iPhone
The Apple CarPlay is not working due to a connectivity issue. There are two methods exist for linking your iPhone to a CarPlay stereo:
- Lighting USB cable
Ensure the accessory is not ragged when using a wired connection, such as a lightning cable or a connection cable. If that’s the case, swap it with a new USB cable and test to ensure that the fault persists or not. Also, ensure that the cable fits firmly in the USB port on your stereo. Use a different USB cable or port if it’s loose.
Airplane Mode restricts your iPhone from accepting and transmitting wireless signals. Therefore, disable airplane mode before tethering Apple CarPlay wirelessly with your phone. Your iPhone should have WiFi (wireless connection), and Bluetooth turned on. So, enable WiFi and go to Bluetooth settings and activate Bluetooth.
You can enable/disable these iPhone settings using Control Center.
- Swipe down from the top right phone screen to enable the WiFi and Bluetooth connections.
- Tap on both icons to make them blue (turn on) if they are grey (turn off).
You might wish to disconnect from any Bluetooth devices you aren’t currently using while you are doing this. How to do it is as follows:
- Navigate to the iPhone’s Settings app.
- Find Bluetooth, then tap on it.
- To disconnect a device, tap the circled “i” symbol next to it.
- Next, Tap the Forget This Device button.
- The Forget Device nag will pop up at the bottom of your screen. Tap it to confirm to forget the previously connected device.
This way, you may unpair CarPlay with your iPhone. After that, pair them again to check if the connection is working correctly.
You may also unpair unused Bluetooth connections that may interfere with your Apple CarPlay connectivity. In this manner, you may improve the performance of your iPhone.
Reconnect Apple CarPlay with your iPhone
Occasionally your iPhone can’t establish an Apple CarPlay connection due to setting errors and other existing connections. In this case, you may reconnect your iPhone with CarPlay when such technical glitches emerge. Listed below are the steps to reconnect your CarPlay with your iPhone.
You can use a cable or Bluetooth to establish the iPhone’s connection with CarPlay. It depends upon your car model.
- Tap the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Navigate to the General > CarPlay.
- Next, tap CarPlay.
- Locate through and tap on the name of your automobile’s brand from the list displayed.
- These steps can differ when reconnecting Apple CarPlay with your iPhone. Different car models have different steps to configure and set up Apple CarPlay. For further facts, refer to the user guide of your car.
Set up Siri on your iPhone
Siri is essential for Apple CarPlay, so enable it. Otherwise, Apple CarPlay won’t connect with your iPhone. The CarPlay is not working because you haven’t configured Siri on your iPhone. Therefore, follow these steps to enable Siri to control Apple CarPlay voice commands:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Now, scroll down to “Siri & Search” and tap it.
- Ensure the following features are enabled under “Ask Siri”:
- Listen for “Hey Siri”
- Press Side Button for Siri. (or Press Home for Siri.)
- Allow Siri When Locked.
- You must first configure Siri for the voice assistant to detect your voice after turning on the Listen for “Hey Siri” option. As for how to configure Siri, follow these steps:
- When you set up “Hey Siri,” tap “Continue.”
- Read aloud each Siri command that displays on your screen.
- To finish the setup, tap on “Done.”
Enable the “Allow CarPlay While Locked” option
The connectivity between Apple CarPlay and your screen-locked iPhone requires permission. So, Apple CarPlay won’t connect with your iPhone after setting up Face ID or passcode. When you try to connect, it will ask you to unlock the phone first. So, how to allow CarPlay while locked?
Simply enable the “Allow Apple CarPlay while Locked” option to connect your iPhone with CarPlay automatically. The following steps will help you to accomplish it fast:
- Tap the Settings icon on your iPhone.
- Navigate to General > CarPlay.
- Next, tap on your car’s name from the available options.
- Locate and turn on the “Allow CarPlay While Locked” option.
Thus, you can use CarPlay while locked and without touching your iPhone.
Ensure that Apple CarPlay is not restricted
Are you still facing the “Apple CarPlay not working” issue? It might be due to some content and privacy restrictions. Follow these steps to check such restrictions and enable CarPlay.
- Launch your iPhone’s Settings app.
- Scroll down the page and tap Screen Time.
- Next, locate and tap the Content & Privacy Restrictions option.
- Is this option disabled? Yes, then nothing to do.
- Else tap “Allowed Apps” and check if CarPlay connection is active.
- Otherwise, tap the toggle button next to CarPlay. It’ll enable CarPlay.
Turn on access to USB Accessories when locked
In order to prevent USB cables from connecting to your iPhone after an hour of locking, you should turn off access to USB accessories. In this case, a hacker cannot use lightning ports to steal your phone’s passcode after disabling this option. Therefore, activating this option can result in a connection error when you connect your iPhone with your Apple CarPlay through a USB cable. Instead, use the following steps so it can access your locked iPhone through a USB cable:
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap the Face ID & Passcode (or Touch ID & Passcode) from the available options.
- If prompted, enter your passcode.
- Navigate to the heading “Allow Access When Locked.”
- Next, tap the toggle button given next to the USB Accessories. Apple CarPlay can access your locked iPhone if the toggle button is green.
After disconnecting the phone from CarPlay, turn off this option (tap the toggle button to make it grey), so no one can access your locked phone through a USB cable. This way, you protect your phone from malicious hackers.
Note: A few older iPhone models that haven’t the latest iOS version might have labeled this USB restricted mode.
Restart your car and your iPhone
Sometimes you might be unable to spot the Apple CarPlay logo on your car’s infotainment system. However, you might be able to resolve the challenge in a few steps. Instead of thinking, why does Apple CarPlay not working? You probably only be required to restart your iPhone and car. This trick aids in resolving temporary problems your iPhone or infotainment system may have.
You might have an iPhone with the Face ID or home button. So, there are two methods to power Off your iPhone, depending on whether it has the Face ID or home button.
Restart an iPhone with a home button
- An iPhone with a home button has a power button on the right side.
- Press and hold the power button for a few seconds.
- Slide to the power off option on the top of your screen.
- Drag it to the right, and your iPhone will be powered off.
- It hardly takes 30 seconds to power off completely.
- Now, press and hold the power button until you see the Apple logo on your phone’s screen.
Restart an iPhone with the Face ID
- Simultaneously press the power button and the volume up or down button to power off your iPhone. Shortly, the slide to power off option appears on your phone’s screen.
- Swipe this button to the right. Your device will turn off after roughly 30 seconds. Wait for a couple of seconds.
- Next, press and hold the physical power button until the Apple logo appears.
Restart any iPhone model
Alternatively, on any iPhone, you can shut down your iPhone through the General settings.
- Open the Settings app.
- Look for and tap General.
- Now, scroll down to the Shut Down option. It’s the last option on the list.
- Tap Shut Down, and you turn off your iPhone within 30 seconds.
- Now, press and hold the physical power button to turn on your iPhone. It doesn’t take more than 10 seconds.
Now, it’s time to reset CarPlay connection with your iPhone. Most probably, it will work like a charm.
Reset your iPhone settings
Is Apple CarPlay not working? Maybe you just tweaked your iPhone settings. You may reset your phone’s settings to get rid of this situation. This action will reset almost everything in the following list to default settings.
- Privacy Settings
- Location Settings
- Network Configurations
- Home Screen Layout
- Keyboard Dictionary
- Apple Pay Cards
Therefore, before attempting that, you should consider that. Nevertheless, all the files are unaffected after resetting your phone, and nothing will be deleted from internal storage.
Follow these steps to reset your iPhone:
- Head to Settings on your iPhone’s app dashboard.
- Locate General and tap it when you find it.
- Scroll down until you see the Transfer or Reset iPhone. After getting this option, tap it.
- Now, you will find the Reset Option at the bottom of your phone screen. Tap it. A pop-up with six options appears.
- Tap Reset All Settings.
- Enter your passcode.
- Finally, you see Reset All Settings in red color. Tap it to reset or restore default settings on your iPhone.
Note: Be careful, don’t tap Erase All Content and Settings. It will delete everything from your phone, settings, and data.
Sit tight for your iPhone to reload automatically, resetting your iPhone to default settings. Once your iPhone is ready, reconnect to CarPlay, and don’t forget to turn on WiFi, Bluetooth, and Siri.
Unlink your car and set up it again
A fault during setup might be the root cause of Apple CarPlay not working. You can use the “Forget This Car” option and make a fresh start. This step might work for you. Take the following actions to do so:
- Tap the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Open the General settings.
- Tap the CarPlay on the list.
- Tap one of the connected cars.
- Next, tap the Forget This Car option.
- Enable Siri before you connect your iPhone with CarPlay.
- After that, return to Settings.
Link your car using Bluetooth
- Turn on Bluetooth or wireless mode of your car’s infotainment system.
- Locate and hit the voice command button on your car’s steering wheel.
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Now, navigate to General > CarPlay
- Finally, tap the name of your car.
Link your car using a USB cable
- Connect your iPhone to your car’s USB port by plugging it in. This USB port could have a smartphone or a CarPlay symbol. We recommend you use a genuine Apple cable to connect your phone.
- Follow the screen instructions to link your phone to the CarPlay stereo.
Update firmware of the infotainment system
Apple CarPlay won’t connect with your iPhone because the firmware of your infotainment system is outdated. To overcome that, check for the latest firmware from your car manufacturer and update it. If you wish to guarantee that Apple CarPlay is always working and connecting with your iPhone, you must install the latest software and firmware when available.
Read your car’s manual and try it yourself. Otherwise, take help from the nearest service center to upgrade the firmware. If Apple CarPlay doesn’t connect with your iPhone.
Put down your phone and take a break
Sometimes, iPhone users realize that their phone charging, but CarPlay not working. It’s normal when you have connected your phone with your car. There are some other reasons also valid.
When we often charge our phone in our car and connect it to CarPlay, the phone overheats due to more power consumption. Thus, an overheated phone might hinder the CarPlay functionality. Therefore, let your phone cool down for a couple of minutes before you attempt to connect with CarPlay.
Contact Apple Support
Still, your problem “Apple CarPlay stopped working” is unsolved. Your final step is to take assistance from Apple Support. You have the flexibility of contacting Apple Support via phone, chat, or by visiting your local Apple Authorized Service center. Always give the team as much information as possible to resolve the problem.
Undoubtedly, CarPlay stands as one of Apple’s most outstanding innovations till date. It permits the driver to operate apps while driving, without compromising the passenger’s safety. However, at times, Apple CarPlay stops functioning for no clear reason. But there’s no need to worry since there are several ways to resolve such issues, which we have covered in this article.
We hope that this article has helped you fix any problems you may have had with Apple CarPlay not working or connecting to your iPhone. If you have tried any other effective techniques to tackle CarPlay issues, please share them in the comments section below.
1 thought on “Apple CarPlay Not Working or Connecting? 15 Easy Fixes – Guide 2023”
I like how you mentioned that your workloads and activities could be managed by having a car play system. My best friend informed me the other day that he hoped to have safety and entertainment features for his Toyota Altis. He asked if I had any idea what would be the best option to find the best one. I’m glad about this helpful article, I’ll tell him that it will be much better if we consult an apple CarPlay service as they can provide information about his options.