Have you ever thought about customizing or modifying your Roku device? The term for this is called jailbreaking. Once you jailbreak a Roku device, you gain additional access to the device that allows you to install third-party apps and be able to use the Roku OS more than the way you are supposed to use it. So, can you jailbreak a Roku TV, and is jailbreaking a Roku device similar to jailbreaking an iPhone or rooting an Android device? Well, you’ll have to read on to find out more.
- How to Jailbreak a Roku TV
- Can you jailbreak a Roku TV
- Cast apps via Screen Mirroring
- Enable Developer Mode on Roku
How to Jailbreak a Roku TV
Jailbreaking a device has advantages and disadvantages. But since you don’t know whether you can jailbreak Roku or not, the pros and cons don’t matter. So let’s find that out first.
Can you jailbreak a Roku TV
So the big question is can you jailbreak a Roku device? Well, the answer is no. You cannot jailbreak a Roku device. But then you’ll wonder why so many people talk about jailbreaking Roku devices when you can’t jailbreak them. You see, when it comes to Roku devices, the term jailbreaking is used very loosely. Since jailbreaking would normally result in the device being used in a way other than what it is intended to be used for. It is for all Roku TV including TCL Roku TV, Hisense Roku TV, etc.
So here are the benefits of Jailbreak that you can enjoy on your Roku TV. Most users want to jailbreak their Roku TV to install third-party apps on Roku TV. And so here are the methods you can follow to get apps that are not present in the Roku store.
Also Check: How to Jailbreak PS4 Console (With Pros and Cons)
Cast apps via Screen Mirroring
Now, one of the easiest ways to get third-party apps on your Roku device is to use the screen mirroring feature. With screen mirroring, you can mirror your mobile or PC screen to your Roku device. This feature works perfectly when both devices are connected to the same WiFi. Here are the steps to enable screen mirroring on your Roku device.
Turn on the Roku device and connect it to your WiFi network.
Now press the Home button on your Roku remote.
Go to Settings and scroll down a bit until you find the Screen Mirroring option.
Select Screen Mirroring mode and choose between Ask or Always allow.
Finally, you need to enable screen mirroring on your mobile device. You can follow this guide.
With the power of screen mirroring, you can simply cast anything to your Roku device to watch on the big screen.
Enable Developer Mode on Roku
Enabling Developer Mode is a great way to install and stream third-party content on your Roku device. Enabling developer mode on Roku device is legal and you will not have any problem with enabling the feature. Here’s how to enable developer mode on your Roku device.
Before enabling developer mode on your Roku device, you must first login or create your developer account which can then be used to log into your Roku device. You need to head here to sign in to your Roku TV’s developer program. Once you are logged into the account, you can follow these steps to enable developer mode on your Roku device.
- First, turn on the Roku TV.
- Now you need to press the Home button on your remote three times.
- Press the up button twice.
- And finally, the right, left, right, left and right buttons.
- The Developer Settings screen should now appear on your screen.
- Note that you will see a link on the left side of the screen. Note this link as it will be used later.
- Now select the option that says Enable Application Installer.
- On the next screen, accept the license agreements, then enter a password.
- After entering the password, your Roku device will now restart.
Install Third-Party Apps on Roku TV
Now that you have enabled developer mode on your Roku device, the next step is to install third-party apps on Roku TV. For this you will need a PC and also a WiFi connection on the Roku device and the PC. Here are the steps on how to install third-party apps on your Roku TV.
- On your PC, launch the web browser and enter the URL displayed on your Roku device.
- You will be asked to enter a username and password.
- The username will be rokudev. For the password, you will need to enter the same password you entered when enabling Developer Mode on your Roku TV.
- You will now see the app installation screen. On this screen, you will be able to drag and drop zip files of channels that can be installed on your Roku device.
- If you have no idea about these strings, you can download some sample strings from this GitHub page .
- This way, you will be able to install private channels or even create your own channel which you can upload to your Roku device.
This concludes the guide on how to jailbreak a Roku TV. Whether you own a TCL Roku device or a Hisense Roku device, you will be able to jailbreak these devices taking into consideration that Jailbreak uses third-party apps. The best part about it is that you don’t need to use a computer or even an Android or iOS device to jailbreak your Roku device. We hope this guide helps you understand what jailbreaking a Roku device is and how you can jailbreak a Roku device. if you have any questions or queries, feel free to leave them on our social media.