Does a list article have a place in the world of high-quality content? A question raised by the stereotype that he appears as easy-to-read content that is simple and shallow. The answer we will find out now is yes. It doesn’t just take you to open a blank text document and list a bunch of items to get your article ready. Writing a list article that people really want to read and that attracts high numbers of traffic takes a lot more effort than that.
What is a article list?
A list article is an article based on a list of several items, each item being discussed with additional information to educate or entertain the reader.
Writing a list Article is one of the tasks a content writer loves because the essay system is already defined (intro, list of items, and conclusion). But she is more liked by the public for the following reasons:
1- Attract more audiences
Segments of readers with short and distracted attention and other readers who are not eager to read comprehensive guides and articles, as well as readers who do not have time to read a large article at the moment, are all attracted by list articles. For example, the article will be more attractive than “Your Detailed Guide to Make Money Online”.
2- It helps the reader to
On social platforms like Facebook and Twitter, listings are more likely to be shared with friends and followers because we anticipate that they are light-weight pieces of content that people will love to click on and read.
Examples of A List Articles
Before we delve into how to write a list article, we will first explore some examples that illustrate ideas for writing articles, including what is related to commercial activities directed to individual consumers B2C, and what is related to commercial activities directed to companies B2B, and some are suitable for public websites that seek to employ trending topics in expanding their reach on the Internet:
First: Examples of B2C Articles
- 14 revolutionary ways to organize your home beautifully
- How to paint your room in 4 easy steps
- Learn about the top 5 most popular diets to lose weight
- 5 best wireless earbuds
Second: Examples of B2B Articles
- 24 Content Marketing Tips from Neil Patel
- What are the reasons for the failure of startups? 11 Reasons to Kill Your Project
- Top 10 tools to help you in remote recruitment
- 7 steps to creating a successful website for your brand
Third: Examples of public website articles
- 8 Important Facts You Should Know Before Visiting the Book Fair
- 5 ways to eliminate stress from life’s stresses
- Top 10 summer sunscreens
- How to get rich according to the opinions of 11 of the richest people
How to Write a List Article in 8 Steps?
1- Choose a topic that people are searching for
In most cases, A list article will be required to attract traffic from search engines, so you should choose a topic that people are searching for. Use a keyword tool like Google Keyword Tool and Ahrefs to discover relevant keywords and a set of sub-keyword ideas ordered by search volume.
This is followed by determining the appropriateness of the topic to write about in the form of a “a list article”, as there are topics that do not fit this, such as “entrepreneurship” where people are looking to understand what entrepreneurship means. If you are in doubt about the relevance of a topic, do a Google search for the topic and see the search results that appear.
Google displays the best results that searchers want to see, so if the results include listings articles, this is an indication that the topic you chose fits a list article format, such as searching for “tourist destinations” as in the image. But if the topic needs to be told as a story so that it is difficult to write about it in the form of a list article, then innovation may come up with a solution to this challenge.
2- Choose the treatment angle
It is possible to treat a list article from different angles, including:
- BEST: Top 5 Mid-Range Smartphones
- Expert Tips: 13 Expert Tips for Perfect Skin Care
- For Beginners: 7 Marketing Beginners Books Explaining The Basics Of The Field And Its Latest Theories
- Comparisons: 5 Free SEO Tools to Help You Grow Your Blog
- The most famous: the 8 most famous Arab and Muslim scholars in history
If you are confused about the treatment angle, do you write about the best, easiest, least expensive, etc. You can infer from the search results about the most popular treatment angles because, as we have indicated, they reflect the preferences of the audience. For example, travel advice results tend to be based on the personal experiences of backpackers and travellers, while most “slimming methods” results focus on highways.
The matter may be ambiguous, for example, decorating ideas. You may notice that the results display more than one angle (low cost – easy – creative) as in the picture, in this case choose the processing angle that can fulfill what you promise the reader and avoid using misleading titles (clickbait) during Write a list article.
3- Select the number of items for the list article
The numbers in the titles of a list article carry different connotations that it is important to familiarize yourself with before deciding how many items to cover in the article:
- Five and its multiples (5, 10, 20 and 100) give readers the impression of experience, which explains why they are used so frequently in traditional media.
- Other large numbers (eg 13, 17, 26) encourage the reader to suggest an additional item in the comments. For example, it is good practice in the article “9 Tips for…” to ask readers to leave the 10th tip in the comments.
- Small numbers less than 5 may suggest to readers your poor knowledge of the topic and your scarcity of ideas.
Aside from the semantics of numbers, another important consideration to think about is the number of items your competitors have identified. Note how many items your competitors offer and be sure to come up with a similar or greater number. The most important criterion out of all of the above is to be able to produce valuable content around this number. A large or attractive number will not benefit the reader unless the content below each element is really useful and adequate, which is what the next step will address.
4- Take care of the value of the content
Before talking about valuable content, let’s first look at two list article styles:
Basic Lists: These are short, light lists that contain two or three sentence descriptions for each element of the list. Use of this style is appropriate in these cases:
- The list is too long: the reader probably wouldn’t like to read a mini-article on each of the items, which could be up to 50 items in length.
- The topic is simple: suppose that the topic of the article is about “the gardens of Rabat.” Most of the talk about the gardens here will be simple, and you will not need to write boring paragraphs of up to 500 words about each garden in the city of Rabat.
Detailed lists: These are deep lists in which each item is described in amplification by a few sentences or paragraphs. The use of this pattern is appropriate in the following cases:
- The list is limited: with a few items, so that each item can be discussed in more detail and content.
- The topic is complex: Complex topics need to be simplified and explained in detail such as SEO strategies. And you may need practical advice or step-by-step instructions on implementing each tip.
The truth is that valuable content is not related to the number of words. Only three sentences can shorten the content of a small article full of fillers and repetitive ideas. Therefore value is an essential component of all list article styles, and needs special care in detailed lists. Here’s an example of what I mean about writing a list article while neglecting the value factorز
3 ways to effectively market through social media :
- Be unique and stand out from the competition.
- Be bold and try out ideas.
- Use analytics to measure the success of what you’re doing.
What a really good and effective methods. But what have I learned that I will put into practice right away? no thing. I don’t know how to implement each of them and didn’t understand exactly what I should do. Don’t give your readers a list of things to do and expect them to figure out how to do it themselves.
Your job is to provide them with valuable content that tells how to do each step, the more the reader discovers that they have learned something new from the article, the more evidence of the quality of the content you write. However, there is a note, the number of words required for the article specified by the project owner or the impractical length of it may limit you from talking freely about everything you want to tell the reader about, and here “links” play the role of a savior.
In this case, address the element in moderate detail and then direct readers to other content for in-depth information if they need it. These links could be internal links from site or blog content or external links from trusted sites and sources such as Wikipedia.
5- Gather the information and start writing
After you have determined the number of items required and chosen the style of a list article, now it’s time to gather information, start a brainstorm to gather items and ideas for writing a list article. Target additional ideas to ensure that you get the strongest ideas because you may discover while writing a list article that some of them weren’t good enough or suitable enough. For example, collect 13 ideas if you want to come up with 10 final ideas.
After brainstorming and gathering information, check the list of ideas and delete any idea that doesn’t fit the topic, or a partial idea that is best combined with another idea in the article, or stereotypes that just seem like fillers.
Keep the target audience in mind while writing a list article. If you are writing a beginner-oriented article, you will want to avoid difficult jargon and unnecessary details. And if your article is based on personal experiences, you can expand with more of your opinions and summary of your experiences, if you are giving advice to professionals then the advanced level advice should be new to professionals.
To get the most out of your a list article, write content that is unique and fresh from what your competitors are offering. Stay away from imitating other people’s content in order to have a list unlike any other. Uniqueness may attract backlinks to the article which leads to higher rankings in search and Google results and more traffic.
6- Arrange the items logically
Arranging the elements logically is one of the factors that polishes the article to come out flawlessly. Like any other article you write, a list article is no exception as the elements should flow logically as if you were writing a story. There are several ways to arrange:
- From most to least common: Appropriate in articles: “The best..”
- From least to most common: As a kind of suspense to the reader like “Get to know the top five companies in the automotive world”, the reader should be informed of this at the beginning and take into account the descending order: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
- Chronological order: ideal for educational purposes and step-by-step explanation, eg “How to create a blog in 6 steps”.
- Add Sections: In articles longer than 30 items, the reading experience will be easier if the ideas are categorized into subsections. With the possibility of using these sections at the beginning of the article as links to take the reader to the desired section directly. For example, in this article “Project Ideas: 58 Ideas to Start Your Project” This huge number is categorized into sections (web projects – low-cost – medium-cost – service…etc).
In some topics, the menu items arrange themselves logically without effort on your part, and in other times it is difficult to find a clear sequence while writing the menu article, for example “10 different doughs for delicious pizza.” Spend time only to discover the sequence and arrange the items as logically as possible.
Another consideration that requires attention with regard to arrangement is not to accumulate strong ideas at the beginning of the article, but rather distribute them in the first, second and last element. The goal is to open the visitor’s appetite for reading and not to leave the article after the first several elements, and to keep it as long as possible until it reaches the conclusion and reads the call to action and participates in the comments.
7- Don’t forget to number the items
Although this step seems obvious, some people overlook it. Perhaps due to the clarity of the article structure and the use of only one type of sub-heading, or because of the small number of elements. The omission of punctuation creates a bad reading experience, as it is difficult for the reader to know how many items are left, which is a habit we are all keen on.
The numbering will likely encourage the reader to continue reading as it is easier to measure progress, eg halfway through or nearing completion. It also makes it easier for the reader to refer to certain items in a list article later and share them with others and highlight a particular item number.
For items less than 10, there is no problem with the use of word numbering (first, second, third..) and in larger lists, it is preferable to use numerical numbering (11, 12, 13, …).
8- End the article with a strong conclusion
Another common practice with a list article is to list the items and stop there. Even if most of the audience quickly scans certain items and leaves, a group of people still reads a list article from start to finish and writes an appropriate conclusion that includes a useful conclusion that will lead them to their destination safely.
Once you’ve written the last item, add a few closing words, keep it brief and don’t repeat the ideas you’ve already covered. Then ask the audience for their opinion or invite them to add more of their own, a way to encourage feedback and engage readers.
Numbers are one good factor for getting attention, but they are not a substitute for valuable writing and good planning. Turn the challenges faced by the audience into topics that can be tackled in different forms including a list article, and put your content writing skills to work on content writing projects.
If you wrote a list article before, share in the comments what you think the additional steps you think are necessary in order to write an outstanding a list article.