Microsoft’s digital assistant namely, Cortana is still installed by default in Windows 11. If for you this application is of no use, well know that you can very easily get rid of it. In this article, we will see together how to temporarily disable Cortana , but also how to completely uninstall Cortana in Windows 11 . Follow the leader !
- What is Cortana?
- Disable Cortana on startup in Windows 11
- Uninstall Cortana from Windows 11
- How to reinstall Cortana on Windows 11
What is Cortana?
Cortana is Microsoft’s cloud-based virtual assistant that assists users with voice commands. In particular, you can use Cortana to find files, folders and applications. You can also use this digital assistant to set reminders, search the web, configure settings on your PC, and more.
However, Cortana is far from unanimous among users. Indeed, the app has been widely criticized for its lack of privacy. It must be said that Cortana collects a lot of information about you: location, search history, emails, and so on.
The good news is that Microsoft has decided to remove Cortana from the start experience and the taskbar in Windows 11. Cortana is no longer the default search engine in Windows 11, but just an application. Nevertheless, Cortana is still installed by default and runs in the background in Windows 11, hoping to one day be called…
If you don’t like Microsoft’s digital assistant, you can very easily disable the application or even completely uninstall Cortana in Windows 11. To do this, I invite you to follow the few steps below.
Disable Cortana on startup in Windows 11
By default, Cortana starts automatically when your Windows 11 session starts. If you want to stop Cortana from running when Windows 11 starts, here’s how.
1. First, open Windows 11 Settings by pressing the Windows+ keys simultaneously on Iyour keyboard.
2. Then go to ” Applications “, then click on ” Applications and features “.
3. From the ” Apps & features ” section, scroll down the list of apps, then click on the three-dot menu next to the ” Cortana ” app and select ” Advanced options “.
4. Finally, under ” Runs at login “, toggle the switch to ” Disabled “. Restart your computer to confirm the changes.
✅ Now the Cortana app is disabled when your PC starts.
Uninstall Cortana from Windows 11
Although Cortana is now just an app, Microsoft still does not allow uninstallation like other native apps. However, you can permanently remove Cortana from Windows 11 using a command to run in the Windows PowerShell.
To uninstall Cortana from your Windows 11 PC , follow these steps:
1. Start by opening Windows PowerShell. To do this, right-click on the Windows 11 Start menu, then select “ Windows Terminal (administrator) ” from the context menu.
In the Task Manager, open the ‘Startup’ tab, right mouse click on ‘Cortana’ and select ‘Disable’ from the context menu.
You can still run Cortana manually whenever you want by searching for it in the Windows search bar or by pressing the Windows logo key+C.
2. To uninstall Cortana for the current user only, copy and paste the following command and press Entrée.
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.549981C3F5F10* | Remove-AppxPackage
3. To remove Cortana for all users, enter the following command and tap Entrée.
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 | Remove-AppxPackage
✅ Cortana is now uninstalled from your Windows 11 PC.
How to reinstall Cortana on Windows 11
If for some reason you want to reinstall Cortana on your Windows 11 PC, I invite you to follow the few steps below:
1. Start by opening the Microsoft Store .
2. In the Microsoft Store, search for ” Cortana ” in the search box and select the Cortana app from the search results. Also, you can also go directly to the Cortana download page .
3. Finally, click the ” Get ” or “Free” button on the Cortana page. Wait for the app to download and install. Once the digital assistant is installed, you can use it again.