Increasing the visibility of a website requires, among other things, the implementation of optimization strategies for search engines. Natural referencing brings together different techniques with the aim of raising the site in the first results of Google, enough to improve its notoriety and its traffic. For this, several actions can be implemented in terms of on-site SEO and off-site SEO. Here is what these two concepts correspond to and how they are essential for your site.
On-site SEO: what is it?
On-site SEO brings together all the natural referencing actions that can be implemented directly on the website. These are technical and semantic optimizations made to the site in order to improve its position in search engine results. On-site SEO optimizes both the visible content of the site (by visitors), but also invisible (coding) and hidden (source code) content. When the website is created via a CMS, many tools are already included in the back office to optimize certain elements of SEO.
- The architecture of the site : an ergonomic site, pleasant to consult and well organized is essential to facilitate the navigation of the visitors . This is a criterion appreciated by Google.
- Breadcrumbs : it simplifies the navigation of sites with many categories and sub-categories. With just one click, it offers the possibility to go back . It plays a role in the indexing of websites.
- Keywords and expressions : they are essential for the positioning of your site and will be included in all your content (texts, titles, tags, URLs, etc.). They must be in accordance with your field of activity and your catchment area if applicable. We must target the expressions sought by Internet users and with as little competition as possible.
- Internal networking : integrating internal links into the various content of the site optimizes navigation between pages and helps boost natural referencing.
- Tags : a good hierarchy of the Hn tags of your content is essential. Title levels H1, H2, H3, etc. must be respected and you must insert relevant keywords. In addition, the meta title and meta description tags are essential elements of SEO. They must be unique and optimized using the selected keywords.
- Images : in addition to the fact that they must be light and respect the PNG or SVG formats, they must have an ALT tag including a preferred keyword . This allows search engines to understand and reference the image.
And technical SEO in all of this?
On-site SEO is divided into two branches: on -page SEO which is particularly interested in the content of the website and technical SEO which is more interested in technical elements . This is an aspect of on-site SEO that is heavily watched by search engine algorithms. Indeed, technical SEO intervenes during the process of exploration and indexing of algorithms . To seduce them and ensure that the website obtains their favors, it is necessary to take care of certain elements such as:
- The robots.txt file : it offers search engine crawlers a list of all the pages on the site that they are going to crawl and add to their index.
- The sitemap : or in other words the sitemap, presents in the form of an XML file all the URLs that the site contains in order to simplify the crawler exploration process.
- The HTTPS protocol : it secures the site, especially during a purchasing process. It can be coupled with the SSL certificate for more security.
- Responsive Design and mobile compatibility : these elements make it possible to adapt the website to all devices in order to facilitate navigation.
- The speed of loading pages : this is an essential optimization that makes navigation easier. Too long a loading rate strongly harms the site by causing an increase in the bounce rate.
Off-site SEO: what is it?
Off-site SEO encompasses all actions carried out outside the website in order to improve its positioning. They make it possible to improve the perception that search engines have of your site by boosting its popularity, relevance or even its level of authority in your field.
Several off-site SEO strategies can thus be implemented:
- Link building : this method consists of collecting backlinks (external links) in order to give weight to your SEO. These links are posted on third party sites and lead to your site.
- Social networks : these platforms are essential to improve your notoriety and your authority. They allow you to establish your presence in the market and easily get in touch with your prospects and customers. Social networks increase your chances of getting backlinks and boosting your site traffic.
- Local SEO with Google My Business : by being present on Google Maps and local directories, you increase your chances of appearing when Internet users search for your establishment.
Other off-site strategies can be implemented. This is for example the case with influencer marketing, Guest Blogging, internet reviews , etc.
How to get quality backlinks?
It is essential to get quality backlinks , that is, “natural” links that have been posted voluntarily by the owner of the third party site . They show in particular your level of expertise in your field. To get quality backlinks, here are some examples of actions that can be taken:
- Publish quality content: high value-added content that contains relevant information for Internet users must be the basis of your strategy. It will be more appreciated and shared.
- Work on your digital reputation : your presence on social networks is essential to obtain backlinks. Your content can be liked there, but also shared. Links can thus be integrated into the publications of your community.
- Offer Guest Blogging : this technique consists of writing an article containing links that will be published on the website of a third party. To do this well, it is important to select high-quality, well-referenced sites in advance that offer content suited to your field of activity.
- Contact influencers : by choosing influencers specialized in your field, you will be able to optimize your notoriety and obtain backlinks to their publications (blog articles, social media posts, videos, etc.)
Off-site SEO: is it really essential?
Both off-site SEO and on-site SEO are essential . It is indeed not possible to create traffic and obtain good positions only through on-site SEO. A technically and semantically well-designed site must integrate backlinks and be shared on social networks to be well positioned. Likewise, integrating links and disseminating content from a poorly structured, slow or semantically poorly optimized site does not allow conclusive results to be obtained . On-site and off-site SEO therefore go hand in hand. Even if on-site SEO is easier to control internally, the SEO of your site must go through these two techniques for an optimal presence on the web.