Do you find the prices for pre-made VTuber avatars to be exorbitant? Are you eager to utilize your artistic abilities to design a personalized VTuber model? Are you interested in earning money by selling your own VTuber avatars? If so, it’s imperative that you learn how to create your very own VTuber avatar.
If you wish to embark on VTubing, you’ll first need to obtain a VTuber model or avatar. Numerous online marketplaces offer a wide selection of avatars for purchase. However, in this guide, we’ll discuss how to construct a VTuber avatar yourself, providing you with the necessary knowledge and skills to begin your own VTubing journey.
Can You Make a VTuber Avatar for Free?
You can make a VTuber avatar for free. However, you’ll need offline 3D modeling software like VRoid Studio. Most online VTuber model-making tools are easy to operate but don’t offer a license to monetize the 3D model.
Making your own VTuber model helps you to add custom expressions, character features, and artistic attributes. It’ll make your 2D or 3D digital model more lively than any ready-made model.
Let’s make your first VTuber avatar now!
How to Make a VTuber Avatar: Using Online Tools
The most user-friendly option for creating VTuber avatars from scratch is Ready Player Me, a web application that was initially developed as an NFT platform for the Metaverse. Character creators and artists could use the platform to create outstanding 3D models of characters from any niche, such as anime characters, action gaming characters, fun cartoons, and more.
Due to its ease of use, the VTubing community has taken a keen interest in this tool. Now, both budding and experienced VTubers prefer Ready Player Me as they can create a fully-functional VTuber model within just a few minutes.
What Program Is Used to Make a VTuber Avatar?
You must mainly use a sketching and rigging program to make a VTuber avatar. On the sketching app, you’ll create the 2D character that’ll replace you as the anchor of your YouTube or Twitch channel.
You can use the VTuber model rigging app to give life to your virtual character. It’ll move, talk, and make body gestures by mimicking you. You must use one of the best external webcams for the best experience.
Here are the steps you must follow to make a VTuber avatar in 3D:
- Quickly sign up for Ready Player Me by going to this Sign-Up form.
- The web app will send an email for verification.
- Once you verify by clicking the Verify email button, the tool will sign you in automatically.
- You should now see the Choose your body type screen.
- There, you get three options for the VTuber avatar. For example, Masculine, Feminine, and Don’t specify.
Choose your VTuber avatar body type on Ready Player Me
- Click the one you prefer to move further.
- The next screen is about choosing a template from which the app will create a 3D VTuber model for you.
- You can use a webcam to take a photograph or use any existing image from your PC. If you don’t prefer to give any hint to the audience about your look, you can select Continue without a photo.
- Allow the app a few seconds to use its built-in artificial intelligence (AI) to build your 3D VTuber avatar.
- You should now see a basic 3D avatar on the Ready Player Me editor screen.
That’s it! You’ve successfully created a VTuber avatar. Now, you can apply to follow modifications to personalize the avatar:
- Choose from a range of skin complexion from the left-side panel
- Modify character body appearances from the right-side panel
- The right-side panel offers modifications for the face, hair, clothing, eyewear, face art, mask, and head cover
- The face modification menu lets you customize the attributes for the face structure, eye color, eyebrow style, nose, lips, and beard.
Once you’ve made the changes you desire, click Enter Hub to finalize the VTuber model. Beside the Customize look button, you should see a download icon. Click that to download a . GLB copy of the model.
The content that you get comes under the CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license. Hence, you may not use the VTuber model for commercial purposes.
How to Make a VTuber Avatar: Using 3D Modelling Software
If you need a VTuber avatar for commercial purposes, you can design it on the VRoid Studio. You can download it for free on the official website of VRoid Studio.
Once you’ve downloaded and installed the application on Windows, Steam, or Mac, follow these steps to create a basic VTuber model in 3D or 2D:
- On the welcome screen, select For beginners.
- Now, you’ll see the Models screen. You can create one from scratch or choose a Sample Model for personalization.
- If you’re a buddying VTuber, using a Sample Model is better. You may later create one from scratch when you gain substantial experience with the VRoid Studio app.
- Choose any of the sample avatars.
- On the editor canvas, you’ll find various customization options for the Face, Hairstyle, Body, Outfit, Accessories, and Look.
- For navigation, use the right-click to view the model in a 3D space and the scroll wheel to look closer.
- On the Face section, scroll to the bottom and find the Expression Editor. Use this to create multiple versions of your VTuber avatar with facial expressions like Smiling, Sad, Neutral, Happy, Surprised, and so on.
- If you’re done editing, click the hamburger menu on the top-left corner and save the VTuber model as a . VROID file.
How to Make a VTuber Avatar: Alternative Tools and Apps
Up until now, you have discovered two popular applications that VTubers use to create 2D or 3D VTuber avatars, but they have their limitations. VRoid Studio, for example, is only suitable for anime characters, while Ready Player Me restricts users to personal use only, meaning that they cannot monetize their creations. To address these limitations, here are some other popular VTuber avatar creation tools that offer a broader range of character models and commercial licenses:
- Animaze Desktop and Editor
- Live2D Cubism – 2D Model Maker
- Live3D – #1 VTuber Software Suite
- VUP on Steam
- VTube Studio on Steam
- Daz 3D – 3D Models and 3D Software
- Wakaru on Steam
The above VTuber avatar makers and riggers are advanced tools. It would be best if you went through some learning curve before making production-ready VTubing models on these apps.
How to Make a VTuber Avatar: Final Words
By now, you have learned about some of the tools that can help you create your own VTuber avatar. These tools include VRoid Studio, Live2D, and Ready Player Me. With these tools, you can create custom anime characters that are both fun and aesthetically pleasing.
Using these avatar-making tools, you can join the ranks of popular VTubers such as A.I.Channel, Ironmouse, and Gawr Gura Ch. hololive-EN. By creating your own VTuber avatar, you can add a personal touch to your VTubing channel and make it more engaging for your audience.
If you try out any of these tools or use any other avatar-making tools, be sure to share your experience with us in the comments section below.
Leave a Comment