Want to copy text from an image, error message, write-protected PDF, or non-selectable text? I have what you need ! Today I present to you NormCap , an open source screen capture software that allows you to extract text from any image. To learn more about NormCap and how it works, I invite you to read the rest of this article.
Copy text from any image
NormCap is optical character recognition ( OCR ) based screen capture software. Through this process, the software is able to detect and extract text from an image. It works the same way as a traditional screen capture tool, however instead of copying a snapshot of an image, NormCap copies the text that is on top of an image.
NormCap is open source software available on Windows, macOS and Linux. It is based on the Tesseract OCR framework . Therefore, text recognition is performed offline. So you don’t have to worry about the confidentiality of the data you copy using this tool.
The operation of the software is very simple. Simply select a region of your screen using your mouse, and NormCap will take care of copying the text to the clipboard. All you have to do is paste the text where you want it.
This software can be particularly useful to you if, for example, you wish to extract the text of a digital book (ebook), an image or to copy the text of an error message or of a write-protected document.
Finally, note that from the application settings, you have the option of adding an icon in the notification area for faster access.
How to use NormCap to extract text from an image?
1. Start by downloading the NormCap software from the GitHub platform. To do this, under “ Assets ”, click on the link corresponding to your operating system. For example, click on the NormCap-Windows.msi link if your PC is running Windows.
2. Then proceed to install the software.
3. Next, you need to add French language support . To do this, go to this address , then click on the “ Download ” button. Of course, you can also add other languages from this page . All you have to do is select on the language of your choice, then click on the “Download” button again.
4. Once the file is downloaded, open the NormCap software, then click on the gear-shaped icon located at the top right of the screen, then on “ Open data folder ”.
5. Copy the fra.traineddata file or other language ( ara, rus , spa…) you downloaded earlier and paste it into the folder you just opened.
6. Open the NormCap software again, then click on the cog wheel again and check the language ex :“fra” (for French) under “Languages”. The software is now ready to extract French texts.
7. Now all you have to do is select the area of the screen where the image with the text you want to extract is located. Then wait a few seconds while NormCap extracts the text from the image.
8. Once the text is extracted, the pink borders will disappear from the screen. This means that the text is copied to the clipboard. Then just paste it into a word processor or notepad using the keyboard shortcut CTRL+ V.
That’s it, you now know how to extract text from an image with NormCap.