This guide is designed to provide a solution to the problem of the camera not working in Microsoft Edge on Windows. As the default browser for Windows 10 and 11, many people use Microsoft Edge for video conferencing and other similar purposes. To use the camera on the browser, you need to enable it. However, there are times when the camera might not function correctly on Microsoft Edge, preventing you from using it for video conferencing.
If your camera is not working on Microsoft Edge on Windows, it could be due to various reasons such as missing permissions resulting from extensions, improper camera connection to the PC, or the camera being in use by another application. In this article, we will provide you with troubleshooting steps to address this issue and help you fix the camera not working problem on Microsoft Edge.
Fix Camera not Working in Microsoft Edge on Windows
Is the camera not working on Microsoft Edge? Given below are some troubleshooting steps to help fix this issue:
1. Close Background Apps
If another application is currently using your camera, you may encounter difficulties using it on Microsoft Edge. In this case, it is recommended to close any other applications that are using your camera before enabling it on Microsoft Edge. However, if no other applications are running in the background, or if closing them does not resolve the issue, you can proceed to the next step outlined in this article.
2. Give Camera Access to Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge won’t use the camera if camera permissions are not given. You must give the camera access to Microsoft Edge to fix this issue. To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Press Windows + I key combo to open Settings on Windows PC.
- Under the Privacy & Security tab, click on the Camera option.
- Turn on the toggle for Camera Access and Let apps access your camera.
- Expand the apps list and turn on the toggle for Microsoft Edge. This will give camera permissions to Microsoft Edge.
3. Allow Sites to Use Camera
You may also face this issue when sites are not allowed to use the camera. You can allow sites to use the camera on Edge, which should fix the issue. To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Open Microsoft Edge on your PC.
- Click on the three dots at the top right corner and then click on Settings.
- On the left sidebar, click on Cookies and site permissions.
- On the right side, click on the All Sites option under the Site Permissions section.
- Next, click the Camera option and enable the toggle for Ask Before Accessing (Recommended).
Note- If the site trying to use Camera is listed under the Block section, remove it.
4. Reset Flags in Microsoft Edge
If you have changed the Flags, this may also cause this issue. You can reset the flags in Microsoft Edge to fix the issue. To reset flags in Microsoft Edge, follow the steps given below:
- Type edge://flags in the address bar of Microsoft Edge and press Enter.
- Here, click on the Reset all button to reset flags.
- Once done, you will be asked to restart the browser; click on Restart to restart it.
5. Disable Extensions
You might also face this issue due to third-party extensions on your browser. You can disable the extensions from the browser and see if you still face the issue.
- In Microsoft Edge, click on the Extensions icon next to the address bar and then click on Manage Extensions.
- You will see the list of extensions now. Disable the extensions one by one by turning off the toggle next to them.
- After disabling all the extensions, restart the browser and check whether the camera is working on Edge.
6. Repair Microsoft Edge
Lastly, if nothing helps, then you can try repairing the Microsoft Edge. To repair Microsoft Edge, follow the steps given below:
- Open Windows Settings by pressing Windows + I key combo.
- Click on Apps on the left sidebar, and then on the right side, click on Installed Apps.
- Click on the three dots next to Microsoft Edge, and then click on Modify option.
- Next, click on the Repair button to repair the Microsoft Edge.
- After the repair is completed, open Microsoft Edge and the issue will be fixed.
If you are experiencing difficulties with Microsoft Edge’s camera function while video conferencing or performing other tasks, there may be instances where the browser cannot access the camera. Fortunately, this article can guide you through troubleshooting steps to resolve the problem of the camera not working on Microsoft Edge on Windows. By following the steps provided in this guide, you can fix the issue and continue using your camera on Microsoft Edge with ease.