Do you have an old PC that performs actions slowly? Above all, do not throw it away! Your computer could very well find a second youth! Indeed, the giant Google has unveiled Chrome OS Flex , a version of Chrome OS that you can install on any PC or Mac. In this article, we are going to see together how to install Chrome OS Flex on an old PC or an old Mac . Follow the leader !
- What is Chrome Flex?
- Install Chrome OS Flex on an old PC or Mac
- Install Chromium
- Installer l’extension Chromebook Recovery Utility
- Create the Chrome OS Flex Installer USB Drive
- Installing Chrome OS Flex
What is Chrome Flex?
In recent months, Microsoft and Apple have surprised their users with their innovations concerning their new operating systems. On the one hand, Apple released macOS Monterey only accessible on Mac. On the other, Microsoft is deploying Windows 11, a modern operating system, but reserved for recent computers.
Like you, many users are wondering about the future of old devices. This is an entirely justified concern, as computers that are two decades old are still functional. Well, while Microsoft and Apple are looking at the novelty, Google is looking for solutions for older PCs. Starting from the theory that old computers are still an asset, Google is pulling out all the stops and unveiling Chrome OS Flex, an operating system that can be installed on any PC or Mac.
Indeed, Chrome OS Flex can be considered a saving hand for devices threatened with extinction. This is understandable, since a computer cannot function without an operating system. Fortunately, Google comes to the rescue of old devices that are still functional. So, if you have an old PC lying around, and you want to give it a second life, install Chrome OS Flex.
From Chrome OS Flex, you will be able to do office automation and web browsing. On the other hand, do not expect to play the latest games of the moment, because this operating system was absolutely not designed for that.
Also, note that Chrome OS Flex is a project that is still under construction, as it is a test phase to survey the public. It is a modified version of Chrome OS based on CloudReady, the operating system developed by the company Neverware which Google acquired in December 2020.
Google is making Chrome OS Flex available to all users free of charge. This operating system is there to modernize old computers. If you are interested in installing Chrome OS Flex on your computer, I invite you to follow the few steps below.
Install Chrome OS Flex on an old PC or Mac
To install Chrome OS Flex, your computer must have a 32 or 64 bit processor (Intel or AMD), at least 4 GB of RAM and at least 16 GB of storage space. you will also need a USB drive of at least 8 GB to create the Chrome OS Flex bootable installer USB drive.
If you haven’t already, you need to download and install the Google Chrome web browser to create the Chrome OS Flex installation USB.
Installer l’extension Chromebook Recovery Utility
Next, you need to download and install the Chromebook Recovery Utility extension in Chrome. To do this, simply click on the “ Add to Chrome ” button. It is thanks to this extension that you will be able to create the Chrome OS Flex installation USB key.
Create the Chrome OS Flex Installer USB Drive
1. Start by opening Chrome, then launch the Chromebook Recovery Utility extension by clicking on its icon located in the Chrome toolbar.
2. A new ” Create recovery media for your Chromebook ” window will open, click ” Get started “.
3. Then click on the “ Select a model from a list ” link.
4. From the drop-down menus, select ” Google Chrome OS Flex ” and ” Chrome OS Flex (Developer-unstable) “, then click ” Continue “.
5. Then connect a USB flash drive of at least 8 GB to your computer, then click on the drop-down menu and choose your USB flash drive. Then click ” Continue “.
6. Here you are informed that all data and partitions in the USB drive will be permanently deleted. When you are ready, click “ Create ”.
7. Wait several minutes for the process to complete.
✅ Here it is! Your Chrome OS Flex bootable USB installer is ready! All you have to do is install.
Installing Chrome OS Flex
Now that your installation media is ready, you can proceed with installing Chrome OS Flex.
1. To start the installation, you must start your computer on the bootable USB key. To do this, when starting your PC, press the F8, F11 or keys F12 (depending on the model of your motherboard).
2. Once your PC has booted from the USB drive, you should see the Chrome OS Flex (or CloudReady 2.0) Setup Wizard window appear. You start by choosing the language and keyboard layout, then click ” Continue “.
3. Next, select your Internet network.
4. Finally, sign in to your Google account (Gmail), and that’s it! You are already on the Chrome OS Flex desktop.
As of this writing, the native application list includes:
|Google Meet||Google Keep|
|Google Chat||YouTube Music|