Your PC is currently running Windows 10 and you want to install Windows 11 to benefit from the latest features? Want to start from scratch and perform a clean install of Windows 11? You are in the right place ! In this tutorial, I explain the different methods that allow you to install Windows 11 on a compatible computer . And as a bonus, I give you a solution to install Windows 11 on an incompatible PC . Follow the leader !
- Windows 11, Microsoft’s new operating system
- How to install Windows 11?
Windows 11, Microsoft’s new operating system
Windows 11 is the new operating system from Microsoft. It succeeds Windows 10 and introduces a notable interface change. It is intended to be more modern, more secure and more user-friendly than its predecessor. Indeed, it includes a more streamlined start menu, a centered taskbar, a new widget panel and a completely reinvented file explorer.
Windows 11 is officially available since October 5, 2021 . So, if you currently have a computer running Windows 10, you can avail the upgrade to Windows 11 for free . However, your PC must meet the hardware requirements imposed by Microsoft (see prerequisites below).
Moreover, for those who wish to install Windows 11 on a new computer, well it is also possible. To do this, just create a bootable Windows 11 installation USB drive . And once the system is installed, all you have to do is activate Windows 11 using a Windows 10 product key.
How to install Windows 11?
Installing Windows 11 on your PC requires certain prerequisites. Indeed, Microsoft imposes a minimum configuration required to install its new operating system. However, it remains relatively close to that of Windows 10 with two differences.
In addition, Windows 11 requires the presence of a trusted platform module ( TPM , Trusted Platform Module), in its version 2.0 . This is a chip built into your PC’s motherboard that securely stores an encryption key. This TPM 2.0 chip strengthens the general security of the system in order to prevent certain major flaws and thwart the plans of certain hackers.
To make sure you have the minimum system requirements to install Windows 11, you can run a small utility designed by Microsoft. The latter allows you to analyze the components of your computer in order to deliver a complete report to you indicating whether or not you can install Windows 11 on your PC.
To check if your PC is Windows 11 compatible , go to Microsoft’s site and download the PC Health Check tool , aka “PC Health Check”. Then proceed to install it and once it is done, click on the “Check Now” button. The utility will then tell you whether or not your computer meets the Windows 11 requirements.
Method 1: Install Windows 11 via Windows Update
If your PC is currently running Windows 10, the first method to update your computer to Windows 11 is to use the Windows Update function. For that, proceed as following :
1. Go to the ” Settings ” of Windows 10. To do this, click on the Start menu, then on Settings or use the keyboard shortcut Windows+ i.
2. Then go to the ” Update and Security ” section.
3. In the left pane, click on “ Windows Update ”, then click on “ Check for updates ”.
4. If your PC is compatible with Windows 11, you should see the following message: “ Update to Windows 11 is available… for free! “. Then click on the “ Download and Install ” button.
The download should start automatically and the installation should follow immediately after. At the end of the process, the Windows Update window will tell you that a restart is required. Then click on the “ Restart ” button.
There you have successfully updated Windows 10 to Windows 11.
Method 2: Install Windows 11 via Setup Wizard
The second method to upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 is to use the wizard provided for this purpose. To do this, I invite you to follow the few steps below:
1. Go to the Windows 11 download page .
2. Under ” Windows 11 Setup Wizard “, click the ” Download ” button, then select a save location.
3. Once the file is downloaded, double-click the Windows11InstallationAssistant.exe file to launch the Windows 11 Installation Assistant.
4. The Windows 11 Setup Wizard tells you that your PC meets the minimum system requirements to install Windows 11. Click the ” Agree and Install ” button to accept the terms of the license agreement.
5. Then wait a few minutes while Windows 11 downloads.
6. The Windows 11 Setup Wizard will then verify the download. Again, just wait.
7. Now Windows 11 installation on your PC will start.
8. Next, you will be prompted to restart your PC to finish installing Windows 11. Save your work, then click ” Restart now “.
9. Now all you have to do is wait until Windows 11 is finished installing on your computer. Note that your PC may restart several times. Let him be.
And There you go ! Windows 11 is installed on your computer.
Method 3: Install Windows 11 via ISO File
The third method to install Windows 11 on your PC is to use the ISO image of the latest system version. Here’s how.
1. Start by downloading Windows 11 ISO image from Microsoft official website. To do this, under ” Windows 11 Disc Image (ISO) Download “, select ” Windows 11 ” from the drop-down menu, then click the ” Download ” button.
2. Next, select “ French ” from the drop-down menu.
3. Finally, click the ” 64-bit Download ” button to download the Windows 11 ISO image.
4. Once the ISO image is downloaded, right-click on the file, then click ” Mount ” in the context menu.
3. Next, double-click on the setup.exe file to launch the Windows 11 installation wizard.
4. To install Windows 11 on your Windows 10 PC, you are warned that the installer will go online to get updates, drivers and optional features. You can change how the installer downloads updates (optional), then click the ” Next ” button.
5. Agree to the applicable license agreement notices and terms to install Windows 11 by clicking ” Accept “.
6. Wait a few minutes while getting Windows 11 updates.
7. Backup and close your files before installing Windows 11 on your Windows 10 PC. Note that all your files and programs will be preserved. If you wish to modify the elements to keep, click on the link provided for this purpose. Finally, when you are ready to migrate from Windows 10 to Windows 11 , click on the “ Install ” button.
8. And here we go for Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade .
9. Again, wait a few minutes while Windows 11 updates install…
And There you go ! You have just upgraded Windows 10 to Windows 11 .
Method 4: Install Windows 11 using a bootable USB installer
Finally, the last method to install Windows 11 is to create a bootable installation USB drive. To do this, follow these instructions:
1. Go to the Windows 11 download page .
2. Under ” Create Windows 11 installation media “, click the ” Download ” button.
3. Then run the MediaCreationToolW11.exe file to launch the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool.
4. Once executed, start by accepting the terms of the contract by clicking on “ Accept ”.
5. Select a language and an edition, then click ” Next “.
6. Then check “ USB flash drive ” and click “ Next ”.
7. Select your USB key, then click “ Next ”. Please note that all files on your USB key will be deleted. Therefore, if you have important files, make a backup beforehand.
8. Then wait while Windows 11 downloads.
9. Then wait again while the build tool places the Windows 11 installation files on your USB drive.
10. When the process is complete, click ” Finish “.
Your Windows 11 installation USB key is now ready! All you have to do is boot your computer from the bootable USB drive to install Windows 11 on your PC .
Bonus: install Windows 11 on an incompatible PC
If you want to install Windows 11 on an incompatible PC , you can use the Windows 11 Upgrade open source software. Here’s how.
1. Start by downloading Windows 11 Upgrade from GitHub platform. To do this, under the “ Download ” section, click on the “ Download latest release (EN) ” link.
2. Once downloaded, unzip the archive wherever you want on your computer.
3. Then run the program by double-clicking on the Windows11Upgrade.exe file .
4. Once opened, the program first asks you to select Windows 11 ISO image or download Windows 11 ISO image . If you already have the Windows 11 ISO image, click “ Select Windows 11 ISO file ” to select it.
On the other hand, if you have not yet downloaded the Windows 11 ISO, click on ” Download Windows 11 ISO file “, then select your language in the window that appears.
5. Next, the program asks you to choose from 3 options: “ Upgrade ”, “ Data only ” and “ Clean install ”. The first option is to update your PC to Windows 11 keeping your apps and data. The second option allows you to upgrade your PC to Windows 11 keeping only your data (and not the applications). And finally, the last option allows you to perform a new installation of Windows 11 keeping nothing. In other words, all your data and apps will be deleted.
For example, if you want to update your PC to Windows 11 while keeping all your data and applications, select the first option, namely “ Upgrade ”, then click on the “ Install system ” button.
Here is a translation of the different options:
- Update : Update to Windows 11 by backing up apps and data.
- Data only : Upgrades to Windows 11, backing up data only (not apps).
- Clean Install : Performs a clean install of Windows 11.
6. Now all you have to do is wait while Windows 11 installs . Don’t Touch Anything Until Windows 11 Setup