If you’re tired of constantly typing your password and want to speed up the boot process, you can automatically sign in on Windows 11. Here’s how.
You can sign in in different ways on your Windows 11 PC. For example, you can use password, PIN, or biometrics with Windows Hello on compatible hardware. However, some users may not need to enter a password or PIN every time. Maybe you live alone or are in a situation where the safety step is not an issue. If you don’t want to have to log in all the time, you can set your PC to log in to Windows 11 automatically.
It’s important to note that you don’t want to do this if you’re in a public place or have a shared computer with multiple user accounts. The login screen is the frontline defense for your sensitive data. So when you configure your system to log in automatically, it’s essentially an open system that anyone can access. That said, weigh the pros and cons and follow the steps below.
How To disable Windows Hello on Windows 11
To sign in automatically, you must first disable the Windows Hello feature.
To disable Windows Hello on Windows 11, follow these steps:
- Click the Start button and open Settings or use Windows key + I .
- When Settings opens, click Accounts on the left and click Sign-in options on the right.
- Scroll down to the Additional settings section and turn off the For added security, only allow Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device option.
- Next, click the drop-down menu next to If you’ve been away, when should Windows ask you to sign in again and set it to Never .
- In the Ways to sign in section, select your current sign-in method and click the Remove button and enter your Microsoft account credentials when prompted.
Log in automatically on Windows 11
Now that Windows Hello is disabled, you can continue to have it sign in automatically by doing the following:
- Press the keyboard shortcut Windows Key + R to bring up the Run dialog box and type netplwiz and click OK or hit Enter .
- When the User Accounts window opens, uncheck the Users must enter a username and password to use this computer option at the top and click OK .
- Now enter your Microsoft account email address in the Username field and your account password twice, then click OK .
- Finally, restart Windows 11 and it will automatically sign in with the Microsoft account credentials you entered. You will no longer need to enter a PIN, password or biometric data. Note that you will briefly see the login screen, but it will go straight to your desktop without entering any credentials.
Login to Windows
Using automatic login improves the overall boot experience on your system. Another way to automatically access Windows is to create a “guest” account. This trick is to create a local account and leave the password field blank. But if you want to use your Microsoft account for other services and apps, you’ll need to turn off Windows Hello and set it to sign in automatically.
To learn more, see how to turn Windows Security on or off or how to hide files from search on Windows 11.
If you’re new to Windows 11, you might not be a fan of the user interface. Read how to move the Start button to the left to make it look more like Windows 10.