Discover how to write an SEO optimized article that will alone generate between 500 and 1500 page views per month within 1 year.
In this guide, I give you the exact structure to follow to succeed.
If you want to develop organic traffic to your blog via natural referencing, you have a double challenge: to create content that is optimized for search engines AND that appeals to your readers.
Here are the 6 steps to follow to write an SEO optimized article:
- Find an underserved topic
- Structure the article well
- Write an in-depth article (minimum 1200 words) that meets the research intent
- Add internal and external links
- Integrate images or videos to illustrate the remarks
- Format the article well and proofread it
1. Find an underserved topic
Writing on the right topic is what makes the difference between an SEO article that will allow you to attract ten Internet users per month to your blog and an article that will bring in hundreds of visitors.
To put the odds on your side, especially when you start, you will therefore first want to write on subjects that are little or badly answered in your niche.
This step will involve the analysis of the competition and the creation of the plan of the article.
We explain exactly how to do it here ???? How to create a content strategy
2. Structure the article well
Properly structuring and organizing an SEO article allows you to:
- Make it easier for the Internet user to read the page . If the text is well laid out and the main ideas of the article are highlighted, this increases the chances that the visitor will read the article as a whole.
- Help search engines understand what the article is about. Tags such as titles notably allow robots to read the article and define the subject, hence the importance of integrating, for example, keywords in these strategic points.
- Help clarify and organize thoughts and ideas. Having a well-defined writing plan helps to define the objective and the angle of attack of the article and by extension to be concise by going to the essential only.
In other words, structuring an article comes down to talking about writing plan but also title, introduction, subtitles, paragraphs and hierarchy because as we will see, not all tags have the same weight in SEO (h1 tag, h2, h3 tag).
To understand how, here is an example of an optimized article outline.
SEO article example of a content structure
➤ Article title
The title will be formatted h. Choose a catchy title and include your preferred keyword at the beginning of the title.
➤ Brief Introduction
In the intro you must respond concisely to the topic then create a hook paragraph where you quickly present the points you are going to address.
Like a reading promise, you must prepare the reader in a hurry for what he is going to read and intrigue him.
Also, if your article is long enough, you can include here the summary with the main points (usually the titles of the different parts) that you will cover. The top is to add the direct anchor link to the part that allows your reader to be directly redirected to the step that interests him.
➤ Body Text
Remember that it is very important to write in a fluid and airy way in order to facilitate reading.
The ideal is to create short sentences and several paragraphs with each time a very distinct idea.
Also, for the article to be easily scannable, you must use bold to slow down the reader on the most important paragraphs and imperatively introduce h2 titles and h3 subtitles.
You will rarely use h4 subtitles because, in general, it is a sign that you are moving away from your main subject. This should then probably be the subject of a new article with this theme or question as a starting point.
Summarize, without duplicating yourself, the essence of the message you want to convey through this article.
If at the beginning of the article, you raised a debate or if you asked a question, for example, now is the time to answer it in one sentence.
Plus, it’s the perfect place to interact with your reader. You can open the conclusion and refer your reader to other in-depth articles that you have written on the subject. Also, you can encourage him to leave you a comment and share his opinion.
3. Write an in-depth article
The third step will be the writing of the article based on the previously defined plan.
A good article responds to the research intent and any related questions the reader may have after reading the topic. The article must also provide maximum value based on personal experience or hard data if applicable.
The article must follow a logical path and reasoning that allows the reader to understand the subject in depth, to draw his attention to particular points if necessary and to give actionable steps if the context allows it.
Generally, to be able to sufficiently deepen a subject, an SEO article must contain at least 1200 words.
To learn more about the number of words your SEO article should have depending on the subject, visit this article???? How many words to write for my blog article
4. Add internal and external links
As a reminder, an internal link allows you to connect a page/article of your blog to another page/article of your blog.
Moreover, the idea is to try to keep your reader as long as possible on your blog and to increase the number of page views (two important SEO factors from Google).
It is also equally important to integrate external links. They are used to cite sources, other examples or articles.
5. Integrate images or videos
To illustrate your words and make it easier to read, consider adding images, infographics or videos.
Tip 1: Consider reducing the size of the images so as not to slow down the loading time of your page. In particular, you can use TinyPNG to compress your images.
Tip 2: Fill in the alt attribute using a keyword or title that reflects the image. This will allow search engine crawlers to understand the content of the image.
On WordPress, you can directly add the alt attribute (bottom right) when you add the image.
Or, you can also edit the alt attribute once you’ve inserted the image into your text.
You can now click on the image > click on the ‘Edit’ icon > add the text in the ‘Alternative text’ section.
Tip 3: If you use Pinterest, you can create a special and optimized image with the title of the article in particular and insert it in your article. This way, your readers will have the opportunity to pin the image and save the article to read for later.
6. Format the article well and proofread it
If you use the structure we defined above, your content will already be easily readable. But you can still do better!
- Font. Choose an easily readable font and a color that makes it easy to read, usually black.
- Use bulleted or numbered lists. This allows information to be synthesized. You can also, if you prefer, use symbols as bullet points.
- Use fat. This helps to focus the reader’s attention on a key passage. You can also alternatively use italics or underlining. But be careful not to abuse it.
- Add quotes. Use the block quote (blockquote) when you edit your article on WordPress. This also makes it possible to cut the reading and gives breath to the reader.
- Proofreading. Your article must be free of spelling mistakes. If it’s not your strong point, you can easily hire a freelancer on Upwork (for proofreading counts about $0.01 / word), a pair of extra eyes is always better.
Click PUBLISH and voila!