Nowadays, we are registered on many services. And the more accounts we create, the more passwords we have. Fortunately, rather than remembering every password for every service, there are password managers. These are software that allow you to secure your precious sesame in a single interface. In this sense, today I suggest you discover the KeePass software , a password manager , free , open source and easy to use .
Well, I confess that not so long ago, I was a little reluctant to store all my passwords in specialized software. I made all sorts of films… In short, I wasn’t ready to take the big step. And then over time, I told myself that it would still be much simpler and above all more secure than storing it in a simple notepad file on my PC.
From there, I chose KeePass , a free and open-source software available on Windows, macOS, and Linux. It allows you to store all your passwords securely thanks to its double encryption algorithm: AES and Twofish.
How it works ?
Create a master password and a first database
1. Start by downloading and installing KeePass on your computer. To do this, go to the official website of the developer. Note that you have the translation of the software in French available at this address .
2. At the first launch, accept that the software automatically checks for the availability of updates.
3. Next, you need to create the database that will house your passwords.
4. Click on “ File ” and select “ New ”. Choose a name for your database, and define a main password that will allow you to access all the data and validate with ” OK ” to continue.
Now that your database is created, you should familiarize yourself with the KeePass interface. It is organized into three main sections. The left column lists the password classification categories (social networks, bank accounts, email accounts, e-commerce accounts, etc.).
The central part displays the passwords saved in the database. Finally, the lower part presents the information relating to the selected element. The toolbar groups together all the actions that can be performed.
Generate a new secure password
Choose a category in the left column, then click on the “ Entry ” menu, then on “ Add an entry… ” and fill in the name of the service (for example Twitter) in “ Title ”. The ” Username ” entry must contain your identifier for the service concerned (an e-mail address, a nickname, etc.).
The password is automatically generated by KeePass, click on the three dots icon at the end of the line to view it. Finally, provide the service URL and click ” OK ” to continue.
Automatically authenticate with KeePass
1. Open the app or website you want to connect to.
2. In KeePass, retrieve the encrypted password associated with the service by double-clicking on its title. This will copy the encrypted password to the clipboard for 12 seconds. Paste the password in the field provided for this purpose (right click then Paste or CTRL + V).Note : you have the option of modifying the validity period of the password. To do this, click on the “ Tools ” menu, then “ Options ”. In the ” Security ” tab , locate the title ” Clearing the clipboard after a delay (in seconds) “. This is how long the password is kept in the clipboard, set by default to 12 seconds. Modify this delay using the arrows or type a number on the keyboard. Click ” OK ” to confirm.