The Sandbox is a community metaverse where players can design, share and live virtual experiences. Based on the Ethereum blockchain, the virtual world of The Sandbox tries to change the dynamics of the video game market with the principle of “Play-to-Earn” and non-fungible tokens (NFTs). Let’s explore this metaverse and its different tokens, including SAND.
- What is The Sandbox (SAND)
- The Sandbox metaverse ecosystem
- What are The Sandbox tokens and what are they used for?
- Fundraising for The Sandbox
- The Sandbox team and partnerships
- How to buy SAND tokens ?
- >Ratings and reviews on The Sandbox and its SAND token
What is The Sandbox (SAND)?
The Sandbox (SAND) is a game originally designed for smartphones in 2011 by the Pixowl company , founded by two Frenchmen: Arthur Madrid (general manager) and Sébastien Borget (operations director).
The game becomes a real success. Originally intended to rival Minecraft, The Sandbox mobile game has garnered over 40 million downloads worldwide . In the seven years since its creation, more than 70 million worlds have been created in The Sandbox and its sequel, The Sandbox Evolution , released on June 23, 2016.
In 2018, The Sandbox was acquired by Animoca Brands , a Hong Kong-based video game development company. It was Animoca Brands who developed The Sandbox platform with Voxel-style graphics similar to other popular games such as Roblox or Minecraft. Because The Sandbox protocol is blockchain-based, its users can create an entire universe and its economy within it, taking gaming to a level never before explored.
The Sandbox is a Play-to-Earn game, but it’s also so much more than that. It is above all a virtual world, one of the most developed metaverses to date, in which players can own, build and monetize virtual assets and gaming experiences through non -fungible tokens (NFTs). . The project has partnered with many influencers, brands and artists, including Snoop Dogg, Atari, Ubisoft, Warner Music Group, Binance and Deadmau5.
The Sandbox was developed around a complete economy, in order to satisfy both gamers, investors, artists and video game designers. To make this economy work, in addition to its own SAND cryptocurrency. The Sandbox is built around three main pillars: a marketplace, modeling software, and game design software.
Logo of The Sandbox (SAND), by Cryptoast
The Sandbox metaverse ecosystem
The ecosystem of The Sandbox metaverse revolves around three axes: a marketplace (Marketplace), creation software (VoxEdit) and development software (Game Maker).
The Sandbox Marketplace
The Sandbox Marketplace was built on the Ethereum blockchain . It supports ERC-721 and ERC-1155 tokens and allows creators and players to exchange NFTs called ASSETs or LANDs for remuneration in SAND tokens, which is the native cryptocurrency of The Sandbox. 5% of sales go to the Sandbox Creator And Game Maker Fund which will fund certain game creators and projects.
The Sandbox’s modeling software, called VoxEdit , allows you to create ASSETs (game elements) in voxel (the Voxel is to 3D what the pixel is to the 2D image, i.e. the base brick). VoxEdit therefore makes it possible to model, but also to animate the creations according to defined scenarios. During the Alpha and Beta phases, only the 1,000 artists who are part of the Sandbox Creator Fund will have the privilege of being able to put their ASSET on sale.
The third pillar of The Sandbox is the Game Maker . The ASSETs developed by the artists are tested in various gaming experiences. The Game Maker allows users to position and interact with these ASSETs in a piece of LAND (an ERC-721 token).
You must own a parcel of LAND or partner with an owner in order to publish a game you created there.
Game Maker allows you to define the behavior of objects according to predefined parameters . No programming knowledge is therefore necessary.
Overview of the world of The Sandbox
What are The Sandbox tokens and what are they used for?
The Sandbox ecosystem revolves around 5 tokens:
- LAND ;
- SAND ;
- ASSET ;
- GEM ;
Focus on the SAND token
The main token of the virtual universe of The Sandbox is the SAND , used to buy the other digital assets linked to this metaverse.
It is an ERC-20 token, which will also be used in the governance of the Decentralized Autonomous Organization (DAO) to be set up by The Sandbox in the near future.
It is also possible to stake SAND in order to earn passive income. This is the only way to get GEM and CATALYST tokens , both of which are used to improve the specifics of game objects, namely ASSETs , by adding attribute points to them at mint time.
The utility of the SAND token is therefore multiple:
- Transactions : artists and players will exchange ASSETs for SAND. The SAND is also necessary to deposit the ASSETs on the market;
- Governance : SAND will be the governance token for The Sandbox DAO. Holding this token will give you a right to vote for the next developments of the metaverse The Sandbox, but also concerning the use of the funds dedicated to the creators;
- Staking : you can earn passive income by staking SAND on the platform. It is important to note that staking is the only way to farm GEMs and CATALYSTs, essential for the creation of ASSETs;
- Fee capture model : 5% of The Sandbox marketplace fees will strengthen its cash flow and foundations;
- Foundation : It collects funds which are used to develop the economy of the metaverse, by offering grants to the most deserving artists and projects.>
There will be a total supply of 3 billion SAND . As of this writing (March 2022), approximately 1.089 billion SAND tokens are in circulation. All will be released during the year 2024.
The other tokens of The Sandbox
The LAND is an ERC-721 token . These NFTs represent plots of land from The Sandbox metaverse, measuring 96 m² within the game.
There is a total of 166,464 parcels, and this number is not likely to change. Of these parcels, approximately 16% is for partnerships and rewards, and 10% remains the property of The Sandbox team. You then have two ways to monetize your LAND .
The first way is to create a game experience on your plot . You can then charge players in SAND tokens to participate. Of course, the better your game, the more success you will have. Beyond quality, you can also offer an experience in which players can earn SAND.
The second way to monetize it will be to rent your LAND to people who know how to deploy interesting games there. You can thus ensure a regular passive income, just like with a real estate investment.
Adjacent LAND plots can be combined into Estates . These domains can be owned by a single person or a group of owners. The advantage of the Estates is to have greater visibility on the world map of The Sandbox. For this reason, large corporations covet these spaces in order to establish their digital presence on the metaverse. There are four sizes of plots: 3×3, 6×6, 12×12 and 24×24.
Part of The Sandbox metaverse map
Estates owned by more than one person are called Districts . The owners come together in order to develop the district with a common impetus, with self-governance. Eventually, The Sandbox will allow districts to become full-fledged DAOs .
ASSETs are ERC-1155 tokens that allow interaction in The Sandbox. Creators can grant them a certain rarity depending on the number of copies available.
The ASSETs are then classified according to five categories:
- Wearables : These are anything that will cosmetically personalize your avatar. Each avatar body part can be customized to create a unique avatar;
- Equipment : these are the ASSETs that provide functionality to your avatar. As in most games, gear provides upgrades and is stored in an inventory or worn by the player. Classically, we find helmets, swords, shields, gloves, etc. ;
- Entities : These ASSETs make up the game’s environment and its interactivity. These include, for example, avatars, animals, monsters, landmarks, etc. Creators can program entities to interact with the player according to several predefined scenarios;
- Art : Here, we enter the pure aesthetics of The Sandbox. ASSETs Art are used to make the game experience more engaging. We are talking here about stylized objects, statues, buildings, etc. ;
- Blocks : These are environmental ASSETs, also cosmetic, but which transform the appearance of the landscape. Water, sand, lava, grass are some examples.
Some entities from The Sandbox in the form of NFTs
Fundraising for The Sandbox
The Sandbox has seen significant growth in 2021: it has over 500,000 registered wallets and 12,000 unique virtual LAND owners, and has generated over $144 million in goods sales since its inception .
The creator economy of The Sandbox is growing rapidly, creating new categories of digital jobs such as NFT creators, virtual architects, game creators, and more.
In order to stimulate this economy, The Sandbox announced in November 2021 that it had raised $93 million in its Series B fundraising round led by SoftBank Vision Fund 2.
Other investors in the round include Animoca Brands, True Global Ventures, Galaxy Interactive Blue Pool Capital, LG Technology Ventures, executives from GoldenTree Asset Management, Sound Ventures, Polygon Studios and Samsung Next. Concurrently, Wedbush Securities acted as exclusive placement agent and financial advisor to The Sandbox and Rubicon Law provided legal counsel to The Sandbox.