Antivirus software is an essential tool for keeping your computer safe from viruses, malware, and other online threats. However, sometimes antivirus software may not function as it should, leaving your computer vulnerable to attacks. In this article, we will discuss what you should do if your antivirus software is not working properly. We will explore some common issues that can affect antivirus software and provide solutions to help you fix the problem. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can ensure that your computer is protected from online threats and that your antivirus software is functioning correctly.
How To Know If My Antivirus is Working or Not?
There are several ways to check if your antivirus is working properly or not. Here are a few:
- Check the status of your antivirus software: Most antivirus programs have a status indicator that shows whether the software is active or not. Make sure the status is “active” or “enabled.” If it’s not, try restarting your computer or reinstalling the software.
- Run a manual scan: Perform a manual scan of your device using your antivirus software. This will help you identify any threats that may have been missed by the real-time protection.
- Test your antivirus with EICAR: EICAR is a harmless file that is often used to test antivirus software. You can download the EICAR file from the internet and try to scan it using your antivirus program. If your antivirus is working properly, it should detect the file as a threat.
- Check for updates: Antivirus software needs to be updated regularly to stay effective against new threats. Check for updates and make sure your antivirus software is up-to-date.
- Check for notifications: Antivirus software often generates notifications when it detects a threat. Check for any notifications or alerts from your antivirus program to ensure that it’s working properly.
If you’re still unsure whether your antivirus is working properly, you can contact the customer support team of the antivirus provider for assistance.
Why Did My Antivirus Stop Working?
There could be several reasons why your antivirus software has stopped working. One common reason is that the software may be outdated and needs to be updated to the latest version to keep up with new threats. Another reason could be a conflict with another program installed on your computer, which is preventing the antivirus software from functioning correctly. Additionally, malware or viruses may have infected your computer and are interfering with your antivirus software’s ability to detect and remove threats. Lastly, technical issues such as corrupted files or settings may also cause your antivirus software to malfunction.
In the next section, we’ll see what you can do if your Antivirus stops working because of any of the above reasons.
What To Do If My Antivirus Stops Working?
First, needn’t panic.
You can try the steps we have mentioned below. But, no matter what, do not give in to threats like Ransomware that ask you to pay up in the return for your data. That’s because there is no surety that you will get your data back.
Before we tell you the steps that you should likely take if your Antivirus stops working, pay heed to these prerequisites.
Now let’s have a look at things you should do if you find out that your Antivirus has stopped working.
You can disable one Antivirus and then check if your primary Antivirus has started working or not.
- Install A Reliable Antivirus
Install a reliable Antivirus whose virus definitions are updated regularly. One such Antivirus is T9 Antivirus. We have already covered a post where we have talked about its features, testing results, pricing, working, and various other aspects.
- Renew Antivirus Subscription
Quite possibly, you ignored the notifications your Antivirus sent you for renewal. If that’s the case, check if it is time to renew your Antivirus and do the needful.
- Check Antivirus for Updates
Just like any other software, even Antivirus needs to be updated. An update ensures that you get the new features and from an Antivirus standpoint, your app is updated with the latest virus definitions. Needless to say, you can check if there is an update available.
In conclusion, having reliable antivirus software is crucial in today’s digital age. However, it’s not uncommon for antivirus software to experience issues that can leave your computer vulnerable to online threats. If you’re experiencing problems with your antivirus software, the first step is to check for updates and make sure that your software is up-to-date. If updating your software doesn’t resolve the issue, you can try reinstalling the software or running a full system scan to identify and remove any malware that may be interfering with your antivirus software. It’s also important to ensure that your computer’s operating system and other software are up-to-date, as outdated software can leave your computer vulnerable to attacks. By following these steps and regularly maintaining your computer’s security, you can help protect yourself from online threats and keep your antivirus software functioning correctly.