To force Windows users a little more to use Microsoft Edge as their default web browser, the giant Microsoft will stop at nothing. Indeed, it is now more difficult to change the default web browser in Windows 11 . Microsoft has completely changed the way default applications are assigned in Windows 11. To help you, I explain in this tutorial how to set the default web browser on Windows 11 . Follow the leader !
- Change Your Default Web Browser in Windows 11
- Via Settings
- In Google Chrome
- In Firefox
Change Your Default Web Browser in Windows 11
The first method is to change the default file type to HTM, HTML, PDF, SHTML, SVG, WEBP, XHT, XHTML, FTP, HTTP, and HTTPS. It’s an unnecessarily long process compared to Windows 10, but that’s the way it is…
The second method is much simpler, but not perfect. Indeed, when you set Chrome, Firefox or even Brave as the default web browser from their settings, not all file types will be taken into account. Only HTM, HTML, HTTP and HHTPS files will open with your web browser. These are the most important of course, but if you want to configure everything, prefer the first method.
To change the default web browser through Windows 11 settings, follow these steps:
1. Go to the Windows 11 settings. To do this, click on the Start menu, then on “ Settings ”. Alternatively, you can also use the keyboard shortcut Windows+ I.
2. Next, from the Settings screen, click on “ Apps ” on the left side panel and then “ Default apps ” on the right side.
3. Then search for your web browser using the search bar under “Set app defaults”. For example, if you want to set Firefox as the default web browser in Windows 11, type “Firefox” and then click the “Firefox” tile just below.
4. Finally, click on the ” Set as default ” button located at the top right of the window to set Firefox as the default web browser in Windows 11.
You’ll see a pop-up window that asks you how you want to open files of that type from now on. Select the browser you want to use from the list, then click “OK.”
✅ That’s it, you have just set Chrome as the default web browser on Windows 11.
In Google Chrome
If you’re not comfortable with the new Windows 11 settings, you can also set Chrome as your default web browser directly from its interface. Here’s how.
1. Begin by opening the Google Chrome web browser .
2. Next, click on the menu with the three vertical dots located at the top right, then on “ Settings ”.
3. In the left pane, click on “ Default browser ”, then on the “ Use by default ” button located in the right part.
4. You will then be redirected to the “Default apps” window in Windows 11 settings. You can either choose to set Chrome as the default option based on file/link type, otherwise you can access the “Google Chrome” app to set it as default for all supported file types.
This tutorial tells you how to set Firefox as the default web browser on Windows 11.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox web browser .
2. Normally, when you open Firefox, a small pop-up window will open asking if you want to make Firefox your default web browser . Then click on the blue “ Set as default browser ” button .
If no window appears, continue with the steps below.
3. Go to Firefox browser settings. To do this, click on the hamburger menu (the three horizontal lines), then on “ Settings ”.
4. From the “ General ” tab, click on the “ Set Default… ” button next to Firefox is not your default browser.
✅ There you go, Mozilla Firefox has been set as the default browser on Windows 11. You now know how to change the default web browser in Windows 11. Note that the operations are almost the same for other web browsers such as Vivaldi, Brave , etc