To increase your privacy on the web, you have the option of enabling DNS over HTTPS. The latter allows you to encrypt your requests on the Web to prevent anyone from intercepting them. In this tutorial, we will see together how to activate DNS over HTTPS in Windows 11 . Follow the leader !
- What is DNS over HTTPS (DoH)?
- How to enable DNS over HTTPS (DoH) in Windows 11?
What is DNS over HTTPS (DoH)?
When you type a URL into your web browser’s address bar, the web browser queries DNS servers to translate the URL into an IP address. So far, nothing alarming…
The problem is that this request is sent in the clear to the DNS servers. Therefore, your ISP or a hacker who has managed to break into your network is able to know which site you are about to visit. Fortunately, to prevent this, today there is a more secure protocol called DNS over HTTPS.
DNS over HTTPS (or DoH ) is a protocol that encrypts your DNS requests via the HTTPS protocol . This protocol is simply intended to improve your privacy and security on the web .
In other words, each time your web browser will query DNS servers to establish communication to the websites you want to visit, the exchanges will be encrypted. Thus, no one will be able to intercept your exchanges and use them without your knowledge.
The DNS over HTTPS protocol therefore adds an additional layer of security to protect your privacy on the Web . So it’s important to enable DNS over HTTPS in your web browser or Windows 11 settings. Here’s how.
How to enable DNS over HTTPS (DoH) in Windows 11?
To enable DNS over HTTPS in Windows 11, follow these steps:
1. Start by going to the Windows 11 settings. To do this, click on the start menu, then on ” Settings “. Note that you can also use the keyboard shortcut Windows+ i.
2. From the Windows 11 settings, go to ” Network and Internet “, then to ” Ethernet ” or ” WiFi ” (depending on the type of connection you use on your PC).
3. Next, next to ” DNS Server Assignment “, click on the ” Edit ” button.
4. In the ” Edit DNS Settings ” window , select ” Manual ” from the drop-down menu.
5. In this step, turn on the switch under ” IPV4 “, then enter DoH-compliant DNS servers. You will find the list of the fastest and most secure DNS servers at this address. Of course, don’t forget to select the most important option, namely ” Encrypted only (DNS over HTTPS) “.
6. And if you use the IPv6 protocol, activate the corresponding switch, then type IPv6 DNS servers, remembering to select “ Encrypted only (DNS over HTTPS) ” in the drop-down menu. Finally, save the changes by clicking on the ” Save ” button.
✅ That’s it, you now know how to enable DNS over HTTPS in Windows 11. Your web requests will now be encrypted.